Powered By Blogger

Sunday, October 22, 2017

She is Danymite: Compelling Frame: lesson 1 frame 2.

SHE IS DANYMITE!

She is Danymite.  18 March 2017. 16th Street Station. Oakland, CA.  Oakland Outlaws vs the San Francisco ShEvil Dead.  Taken with a Leica M-246 Monochrome and a 90mm APO Summicron.

I took this photo this spring.  It's at the 16th Street Station outdoors on a concrete patio roller derby.  

Here's the story of this photo.  I'm taking photos-- I have the pack in the frame and I notice a movement in the upper right part of the frame and I click instinctively and I click several times in the aftermath -- Danymite didn't land the jump cleanly -- after a bit  a photographer next to me asked, "Did you get that?!"  "let me check" I click through backwards in time through the frames to this photo and I yelled, "Aaaaahhh! I think I got it."

  1. My intent -- to show a moment of peak action in roller derby.
  2. Landscape mode captures roller derby action a bit easier with a rangefinder.  I did crop the photo (quite a bit).  I did keep the aspect ratio the same -- although now I think I could crop the right a little bit tighter.
  3.  The lines in the background mostly give a a context to the action in the foreground.
  4. Overall the original "out of the camera" image was over-exposed -- which create a soft high key light in the sky and some of the other whites blend in to the sky.  It was fairly...
  5. I'm sitting on the ground at turn two.  So I'm a little bit below the scene so I tend to get the horizon about waist level to the skaters when shooting derby.  Also turn two is a good place to get apex jumps by jammers.
  6. I've captured the jammer jumping past the pack and a blocker trying (mostly in vain) to stop her.   this particular moment is of peak action.
  7.  The pack is all in focus -- all in the same plane -- with the audience enough out of focus in the background to focus the attention on the action.  There's lots of audience which gives the impression of a well attended fun interesting sporting event, which adds to the photo. The lights and telephone pole in the background may be distracting but generally I am at ease with visual complexity.  That last bit -- I sometimes believe simpler images -- simpler designs are more compelling... and yet... I'm at ease with visual complexity.  I'm not sure if that's a defect or a feature.
  8. That's the thing with sport photography.  It's "shoot tight and crop tighter" and don't have so much distracting shit in the background.  In this case, the audience -- out of focus -- tells the story -- the lights -- not so much -- but sometimes you can't eliminate distracting elements in the photograph.
  9. This is a black and white photograph -- high key and high contrast (is that possible?)
  10. I think the images is balanced.  The skaters are all there -- it may take a little while for the eye to see Danymite -- the jammer jumping.
 my handwriting

No comments: