Powered By Blogger

Saturday, March 16, 2013

The Santa Cruz Kaiser Permanente Arena as a venue for basketball

There's a certain kind of sports fan in Santa Cruz, upon hearing of the possibility that the Golden State Warriors developmental league team might move from Northern WhereEverStan to Santa Cruz, who knows what the arena is really for.

Earlier this year I set out to go to some basketball games to do a little research.  To research the amount and quality of the light.  I brought my fancy digital camera to a couple of games and then I brought my old Minolta XG-M with a ridiculous lens attached to it for a couple of games.

the santa cruz kaiser permenente arena as a venue for.... basketball? 
the santa cruz kaiser permenente arena as a venue for.... basketball?

tulsa rebound

The auto white balance on my digital camera doesn't seem to handle the greenish florescent lighting real well, but it isn't too hard to correct in post.  I anticipate there will be a bit more blue in the ambient lighting soon.

the color isn't a total "slam dunk" at Kaiser Permanente, but at least there are no sodium lamps
the color isn't a total "slam dunk"; at Kaiser Permanente, but at least there are no sodium lamps

warriors_vs_d-fenders_L2071836

warriors_vs_d-fenders_L2071824

warriors_vs_d-fenders_L2071822

Mav'Riks, the world's most enthusiastic turtle, spies on Reno's chalk talk during a team timeout.
Mav'Riks, the world's most enthusiastic turtle, spies on Reno's chalk talk during a team timeout.

warriors_62540027

There's a curious rainbow lens flare in some of these ridiculous photos I was hoping was due to the filter, but it doesn't seem to go away when I take the filter off.  Perhaps if I'm closer to the action, I won't get the lens flare from the bright line of lights on each side of the court.

warriors_62540006

warriors_62540009

ridiculous_warriors_vs_bighorns_66900030

ridiculous_warriors_vs_bighorns_66900022

Mav'Riks! shirt gun!

Mav'Riks picks me up whenever I'm feeling down.

ridiculous_warriors_vs_bighorns_66900033





No comments: