Powered By Blogger

Sunday, September 2, 2012

Santa Cruz Seabright Sirens vs Peninsula Roller Girls

I got part 3 of 3 of an all film derby weekend back from Bay Photo.

scdg_sirens_vs_peninsula_72000002

The Santa Cruz Boardwalk Seabright Sirens  vs Peninsula Roller Girls at a west-side Santa Cruz warehouse, made of concrete, fluorescent lights, concrete, steel, concrete and plastic-wrapped mattresses.

scdg_sirens_vs_peninsula_72000009

I shot three rolls of three-year expired 1600 speed color daylight film (A couple of years, ago I panicked with the prospect of this film being discontinued by Fuji and I bought half the world's existing supply from a guy in Israel off ebay).   I also shot two rolls of medium format color film with my “old-fashioned” folder rangefinder… but those rolls were hopelessly underexposed.  Next time, more flash power!

scdg_sirens_vs_peninsula_72000013

The film was shot. The film was developed and scanned by Bay Photo. I’ve tweaked in software just about every photo here. I added a little bit of micro-contrast (“clarity”) to all of the photos. Many have been cropped. A very few of the photos I’ve left “as shot.”  I converted some to black and white. And I stomped on the level curves of some (both in color and in black and white) to increase the macro contrast. So only a few frames are “authentic” in that they are still color and only minimally tweaked.

scdg_sirens_vs_peninsula_72000026

scdg_sirens_vs_peninsula_71950010

scdg_sirens_vs_peninsula_72000028

One thing I didn’t do (Two things).  I didn’t smooth out the grain, and I didn’t photo-shop out the scratches in the film.  So in that sense, the images are authentically film.

scdg_sirens_vs_peninsula_72000031

salt

The full flickr set is here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nocklebeast/sets/72157631359727652/

No comments: